Behind the photos: Ferns on the cliff face

The setup used for the digital IR photos: Behind the scenes: Ferns on the cliff face.

Due to the discontinuation of High Speed Infrared film by Kodak (I do still have a very limited supply, however, my darkroom is presently out of order.), I started experimenting with digital infrared techniques.

The hot mirror, which filters out most IR light, on the Nikon D70 is not quite as sensitive as other cameras (including my D200), so, with a R72 filter, which only passes IR, (although, if you hold it up to a light, you can see through it a bit), you can use it to do IR photography.

Exposures are on the long side, however, so a tripod is absolutely required. In addition to the tripod, a wireless release is recommended, but not an absolute requirement (mine is missing). The filter, however, is a tad expensive, particularly in the larger sizes, such as the 77mm filter used by my 19-35 Tamron lens, so my initial experiments were with a 52mm filter. About a year ago, I went ahead and bought the 77mm filter, which is what is used for the IR photos in my previous post.

Because the filter is generally opaque to the naked eye, focus, composition and white balance are done with the filter off, exposure is measured with the filter on.

Thanks for looking, and as always, feel free to comment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some news!

Behind the photos: The supporting roles